[Rant] Narrative Isn't Casual

At its root, this is a problem of sloppy logic and lazy dichotomies. The juxtaposition of "competitive" to "casual" has been a problem for decades - I was frothing about it on House of Paincakes when that was still a going concern, in 2013 or whenever it was. I used to get turnt about this as a needless division in the player base, an us-and-them attitude that created conflict for the sake of having it, but that was wrong. Now I get turnt about it because it doesn't make sense. It's logically unsound. It's a nonsense. 

"Competitive" is a mode of play, a type of game - any game in which one or more players win and one or more players lose is fundamentally a competition. The opposite of "competitive" is "cooperative", a game in which players win or lose together, collectively: see also Pandemic, or the default assumption for most TTRPGs. Key point: all 40K is competitive, that's how the game operates, stop pretending otherwise.

 "Casual" is an attitude, an approach to playing games. It says that the outcome of the game in hard rules terms is less important than the social event, the outcome in soft experiential terms. "It doesn't matter if I win or lose, as long as we're all having a good time." "I don't care enough to argue about this." "Whatever man it's just toy soldiers." The opposite of "casual" is "tryhard" - an attitude which says winning games is the point of playing them, and we came here to play, so let's play. Key point: player attitudes are somewhere between casual and tryhard, and matching attitudes is key to enjoying the play.

Most of the conflict that exists in the player base for any wargame comes down to a lack of awareness of attitude, and a muddling of that issue with the fundamental operations of gameplay - but that's not today's rant. 

Today's rant is about a knock-on effect of that muddling. Once you get the false, stupid, nonsense, incorrect idea that "competitive" is the opposite of "casual" into your head, you are prone to other false, stupid, nonsense ideas. You look at "competitive play", you see that the context of that is "tournaments and leagues", and you immediately look for another "opposite" to map onto "casual" as part of a false dichotomy. And you reach for "narrative," as a mode of play and interest in playing that's often in tension with the pure expression of game rules, and you decide that "narrative" and "casual" are the same thing.

Even the GW developers have been guilty of this in the past. When sixth edition 40K arrived, coming out swinging against the leafblowers and whateverwings and las/plas is the best combo and all that noise from when I started blogging, it featured the words "Forge The Narrative!" so often that it became risible, memetic, the subject of mockery. 

I was intrigued, as a narrative player, as someone who likes games as stories and doesn't like the bland repetition and symmetrical aesthetic of optimal pure game play. I came to dislike it, to the point where sixth was the last edition I played, and I'll tell you for why - because "Forge the Narrative!" seemed to mean "randomise everything, right down to what the terrain does!" 

It peaked at the d6 roll for determining your Warlord Trait - in other words, roll a d6 to tell you Your Dude's personality, at the start of every game. What the hell? What kind of storytelling is that? What kind of half-assed "the showrunner's on coke and we've got a toy commercial to finish" rubbish is it going to turn out when your main character doesn't have consistent behaviours and motivations week to week?

The truth is, narrative play has tryhards. The narrative tryhard may or may not be any good at the game: hell, they may be playing to lose if they're running NPC mooks. (I tend to end up in this jobber role at narrative events, because I'm not a very good player and I tend to roll hordes of faceless undead anyway.) But they care.

In narrative play, you can care more, or you can care less, about the narrative you are trying to forge. And if you care more, you are trying to curate an experience and a story here, and that means you need the kind of knobs and levers that "competitive" play has, the choices, the agency over what happens in the game.  

I don't like having my characters' personality reestablished for every game. I don't like the story distorted by charts full of lolrandom gibberish that can make or break a game. (I don't think 40K had anything as egregious as the River of Light from WFB eighth edition, otherwise known as the "fuck you, Undead" button, but that's from the same general "lolrandom everything" period in GW's manic depressive development cycle, and it's what made me ragequit WFB years before the End Times made flouncing all popular.)

Random missions, traits, skills and injuries are for casual players, that is players with a casual attitude, as opposed to a tryhard attitude. They are not a sensible de facto for narrative play as a whole. 

As someone who cares about consistency and continuity and things hanging together in a way that makes some sort of sense, I want to pick things like Battle Honours and Battle Scars that reflect what happened in the Crusade game we just played, and my sense of the personality and role of My Dudes. I want rules that harmonise to create a character who can do things and be badass, not skills that don't work together and upgrades that don't matter because if that unit's in melee something's already gone wrong.

I don't want or need total control - Necromunda is great precisely because your badass gang champion can still get set on fire, run around like a headless chicken, set two of her mates on fire and then plunge to certain doom off a walkway and still survive because the wound roll for the drop came up a 1. That's awesome. But that's not dictating whether or not she gets to be a functional badass in the first place.

What it comes down to is "you can tell me how much damage I take, but you can't tell me how I feel about it. My character is My Dude and I get to decide what kind of person they are." Just... extrapolate that to an army scale.

Narrative play really needs a GM, but the pure rules are expected to fill in that role in the social contract (cf. Warhammer For Adults, manifesto thereof, read it and know it to be true), and players with compatible ideas can self-GM to an extent. Functional Crusade play often lends itself to "well, I'm not gonna put your bonus Agenda in a corner, because that doesn't change who wins or loses, it's just being a dick for no reason," or "hey, do you want to Mark for Greatness one of my units? who do you think was the most badass?" anyway. 

But that's neither here nor there - the point is that Games Workshop rules have, since the Nineties, assumed that narrative play means campaigns with RPG elements, chiefly experience points and levelling up, and that for those rules to work without a GM, there needs to be randomisation. Once you have enough XP to level up, roll on a chart to see what skill you get. If your unit is destroyed in battle, roll on a chart to see what happens to them.

In recent years the Studio has started to treat this persistent brain mange. Warlord Traits became an "oh, just pick one" rule before I came back in mid ninth edition. Crusade explicitly says "you can pick or you can roll" for Honours and Scars. The control is there, if you want it.

If you're a tryhard who rejects the Stormwind Fallacy and still wants to play a character who works in the rules, or you know what Battle Scar makes sense in the context of exactly how your Chaos Lord got squished, you have the option to choose. If you're a casual and you don't really care for any of that, great, do your damn thing, live your truth and let the dice fall where they may. I like having the option - if I can't choose, I roll, and life goes on. I'm not super mad about that. But if I want to choose, I don't want to be given shit about "the Coward's Path" from the same people who say "Casual At All Costs is the worst attitude held by the worst people in wargaming." Your take is unsound. Your theories appall me, your heresies outrage me, you never answer letters and I don't like your ties. You know who you are.

Well, I certainly feel better for that. Do read this with your tongue somewhat in your cheek, and comment in the same spirit. None of this is worth getting genuinely cross over, which is exactly why I'm having a little vent about it now, when I would have been writing a battle report, if my opponent hadn't tapped out citing "being extremely knackered." As usual, Those Who Blog Much Game Not, and like all bitter non-gamers, when I don't get to play I get Big Mad on the Internet instead.

Comments

  1. Personally I prefer 'Hardcore' to 'Tryhard', since in my native homeland the word Tryhard has connotations with the chronic Tall Poppy Syndrome that plagues it and it's not a crime to have a bit of ambition and passion in one's hobbies (or plans for the new world order).

    But semantics aside you do speak the tru-tru about 6th edition 40k. It meant well, and came very close (which is why I still consider it the Last Good 40k Game) but the rules writers never quite had the steel nerves to properly follow through on their Narrative Forge vision and made too many compromises.

    I still hold that the Mysterious Terrain in particular was a huge opportunity that would have been brilliant if it had been partnered with some army rules for intel and reconnaissance that gave players some control over the randomness if they were properly equipped. Something like a special rule that let you choose the result for one type of terrain for each unit of Pathfinders or Rangers or whatever that you included (and the player with the most such scouting units having priority in their choices) would go a long way to improving them, even if it drew the ire of "Why am I paying points for a thing that doesn't interact with Pitched Battle rules" tournament prudes.

    Plus it also leant a little to heavily into forcing every terrain feature into some kind of psychotropic crystaline swarm of the colour purple, when really a lot of the time I just want to play in some pristine ruggedly beautiful Central North Island wilderness. Or an old condemned Welsh quarry. And I'm not ashamed to admit that. There's a reason why Ready Salted is consistently the best selling potato crisp.

    The Warlord Table is... honestly mostly unsalvageable and always bothered me for the exact reasons outlined here. I tried very hard for a long time to rationalise it as just what kind of specific strategy or fighting style Your Dude had decided to try out for this particular episode, but then it has things like 'Conqueror of Cities' and 'Master of The Defence' that are really a lot more permanent than that.

    Tabletop game of kings Battlefleet Gothic also does a really good job at making random campaign tables work by tying most them to the decisions of influential NPC groups, so you can ask High Command for ship upgrades but it's up to them to decide what kind of upgrade components they're willing and able to send your way, and once you've decided to let one of your ships be an experimental testbed then it's up to the R&D boffins to decide what subsystems they fiddle with and if that fiddling even works as advertised. So they can certainly be used well.

    And while we're ranting about counter-productive narrative rules, can we talk about Going Elite? The one single rule in all of 2000s 40k I have consistently hated (even more than 3rd edition's Rapid Fire rules, which only annoy me). After over a dozen games of carefully nurturing my beloved unit over the course of a campaign, the absolute dead last thing I want is for them to be unceremoniously yeeted out of their place in the army and into direct competition with what are probably some important heavy hitters. It only gets more infuriating when half the army gets to that point at once. There is a good reason why I quietly dispose of that wherever possible in campaigns I'm involved in. I want my consistent band of brothers damnit.

    Anyway I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Your letter of complaint is noted and a formal committee will be established to investigate de-randomising the Battle Honours tables for my future campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun fact: I originally considered "hardcore" and wrote the post with that word, but I changed it for two reason. One: the word "Hardcore" is forever bound up with Warmachine at its most perfect form and level, for me at least. Two: "tryhard" and "casual" feel more opposed, as insults an exemplar of each position might hurt at the other – "filthy casual!" "sweaty tryhard!" – and the symmetry pleased me.

      Mitigation for Mysterious Terrain feels like the Psychic Phase: nice if the creative vision of the designers includes giving it to you. I am, however, merely being salty here; your proposal is not a terrible one. I would personally overrule the whole thing with a "choose which piece, choose an effect, roll if you're stuck" approach, but that's me.

      I know what you mean with regards to board aesthetics. I've played enough games on generic green fields/two hills/two woods/central ruin that may or may not be congruous with the setting to be grateful for the odd bit of psychotropic purple, but there are limits. In modern times I find myself hoist by my own proverbials to an extent, as the default is an Imperial cityscape not a million miles from certain early-to-mid 2000s publications dear to my heart, but it's all BO-RING now and I'm a bit sick of it.

      (There's a post in my drafts about this, but I haven't quite turned it around to make the point positive. Despite the ill humoured griping above, I don't like to dwell in the negatives; the person I am when I dislike and dunk on things is funny, but spiteful and unproductive.)

      See, what BFF BFG does there is hive off the randomness to govern factors that SHOULD be outside Your Dudes' control, and yours for that matter. Logistics, grand strategy, the bureaucracy of power, the petty captains-general of the powers are ever at the mercy of these things and that's a part of the experience, for good or ill. Only the global campaign has the scale to really accommodate such grand concerns in terms of player agency; for the solo and small group Narrative, better to let the rules take the strain.

      I had actually forgotten about Going Elite. I didn't play campaigns with RPG elements in third, alas, so I must have skipped over that – or forgotten about it for my own protection. What a silly mechanic THAT is. I mean, fine if your Elites are one bunched up choice that provides multiple squads, like Chosen, but if you're Orks and a lot of your fun stuff is already competing for slots... ick, and indeed, blegh.

      Delete
    2. It is probably telling that I don't normally think of casual as an insult in the first place (isolated as I have been from the multiplayer video gaming base that spawned the concept), which is why the symmetry went completely over my head.

      Choose which piece does what works too, and does have a lot of advantages. After all random tables meeting with lovingly built terrain pieces runs into the Possessed Dilemma of the rolled result not matching the visuals. But if terrain effects must be randomised, the polite thing to do is to give players some options to control the randomness with the right unit/wargear selection.

      I feel your pain about the constant cityscapes. They are pretty much the default 40k table at my current FLGS, and I was already tired with them when I started doing regular 2004hammer games there last year. One of the great byproducts of the old world release is the store terrain collection gaining a revitalised assortment of green hills and trees that when appropriated for 40k use and combined with a few choice sci fi buildings produces a rural setup not a million miles from the exemplar featured in a certain mid 2000s rulebook dear to my heart. And I am looking forward to exploiting just that as soon as my funds stabilise enough for regular tabletop outings again.

      Delete
  2. Forgot to mention it when I was putting together the main comment but it is interesting you mention self GMing because that's increasingly what my 2004hammer outings are turning into. A lot of it is because I tend to start GMing on instinct because years of being a Forever GM and more recent directing experience have left me with a strong GM impulse in general, but the prospective players who oblige me have thus far and taken a lot of my GM addons in stride.

    Even some of the less immediately helpful ones like taking a free shot at underperforming units (Imperial Guard and Chaos) and Animosity from kill stealing (Orks).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment